Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Exercising Habit...

         Early morning yesterday...by early morning I mean- around 7-7:30am and please, don’t take it any other way..7:30am is early morning! At least for me!!! :-) I was at Talkatora Garden. Although, I was there for the physical fitness test of security personnels that NDMC (New Delhi Municipal Council, which happens to be my employing body as well) is recruiting and before all the equipments could be set up I had some time to explore the beautiful garden…after all, I had not been an early bird of late…specially on a weekend…! ;-)

         The garden is really beautiful and soul comforting. The chirps of birds, and playful shouts of children, that routine-synchronised-animated but altogether necessary loud laughters which you can hear in any garden/park of Delhi by the group of people mainly in their 60s and beyond…the sound of water at water fountain….the footsteps of jogging individuals…the excerpts of political chat by mostly older people while taking their break after certain amount of physical activity…the panting of competitive youngsters who just dashed the extra 50 meters-or-so after their self-set distance for the day...

          I really had forgotten that there are still so many people who are not only awake but fully functional that too so early!!! And among all these hustle-bustle
of early morning...I saw another of group of individuals at the far east corner of the garden near the cricket ground…this is that side of garden which is adjacent to Mother Teresa Crescent Road…There were individuals of all age groups…The sight at first amazed me..and later pleased me as a doctor! 

          I saw three generations of a family: the Grandfather, the Father and the Son working out together..and no need to mention that this habit inculcates in the younger generation from older generation itself. If you are active, likelihood that your son will lead an active and healthy life is fairly high..and so it is for your grandson provided your son is active too…! 

           Having said this and due credit given to the individual/family…I would not be just if I don’t mention the efforts taken by the NDMC and its staffs to provide and maintain the equipments at public parks/gardens like this one which make exercising fun and not something which is tedious and brings wrinkles on forehead…! These are the equipments which NDMC recently purchased from Garden Gym.

           Its amazing how simple basic facility encourages people to be active and thereby healthy… Though, initially it may seem like futile investment but as a doctor I can say this small initiative will translate into a greater good for I know a healthier society is a productive society… Not only this initiative will reduce the burden on heath care delivery system but also increase the outcome from each and every involved individuals.

           I would be happier to see more sets of such equipment in different corners of Talkatora Garden and also in other parks/gardens of NDMC and Delhi as well…! :-)

Stay Active...Stay Healthy...!! 

Dr. Virat Kuntalam
Medical Officer,
Palika Kendra,
NDMC

No comments:

यादों में...

यादों में... (Written BY my MOTHER in loving memory of my FATHER) "कभी सोचा न था, दिन ऐसे भी आएँगे.. जो समझती थी खुद को रानी, वो यूँ ...